Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Phew! That was close!

Our heads are still reeling from all the attention our little challenge has spured. I woke up this morning to my 8 year old telling me that he was going to buy something at the book fair today. My first thought was 'NOOOO, everyone knows what we are doing now, and you even printed off The Star's article and took it to school!! People are watching us now!' haha But I swallowed hard and I gently asked him 'what about our challenge?'. He rambled on as best he could trying to justify his purchase of a Tech Deck (not even a book after all). He seems to think that his challenge is to try and win a Wii... what that had to do with the book fair, I don't know either! He walked away to get ready for school and when he came back I gently said to him once again that I'd like him to reconsider buying something at the book fair. I wasn't authoritative or pushy. He really felt like this was his decision... because it was. The point of this exercise isn't to brow beat our children into our rules, but for them to recognize the value of this experiment themselves. He thought about it for a couple seconds and then said, 'Okay, I'll just get a gum ball after swimming then'. PROUD momma bear over here!... but we shall see what comes home in his backpack today!

No comments:

Post a Comment