Monday, April 12, 2010

Lighten up a little!

That is what I need to do anyway! This journey of caring for ourselves and the earth and its bounties doesn't need to be a stifling burden, a lesson in deprevation or overly complicated.
(I tend to make things complicated. Always have; like the time I considered not marrying my husband if he squeezed his toothpaste in the middle - I mean, how annoying is that?! How could a person live with THAT for time and eternity?! (I only just recently, after 10 years and 3 little boys got my own tube of toothpaste - talk about liberating!)
ANYWAY!... I called my mom the other day talking about what to plant in the garden (my first garden ever, and what we planned to live the summer months on) when I froze... I had vowed to not buy anything new this year (other then groceries and such) ... how can I buy seeds?! My mind raced as I thought about asking people for their old seeds, but not knowing if they were still viable or not. I thought about plants that I could transplant from other people. As I was freaking out, my mom calmly said, 'Jessica... seeds count as food.'
Right!! Sometimes I can't see the forest through the trees. Sometimes I am so rigid that I can't think outside the box; and I know by the comments of some other people about what we are trying to do this year, that there are others who can't either.
We have a glorious opportunity to not only reduce, reuse, and recycle, but to rethink, renew, and rewrite the future. Try not looking at this like a burden (more to worry about) or that something has been taken away from you, (shopping) or that you can't make a difference, (does one leaf on the tree really matter?) or that you don't know where to start. (so many important options) Have fun with it! Let creativity, open-mindedness and non-judgement (of yourself and others) be the first ingrediants in your green journey. I know I need to! :)

3 comments:

  1. I look forward to your daily blogs.

    Don't let the nay-sayers get you down. Keep on doing what you're doing. I can't say that I'm following the same regimented plan, but my wife and I live very simple and paired down lives. Good on ya and keep it up.
    Gene (Ontario)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're planning on buying organic seeds, they are so much better, and you can get some really cool ones - think heirloom tomatoes! :) Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your kind words Gene. Sometimes I wonder if anyone is out there! haha

    I AM thinking a lot about seeds actually. I am wondering about GMO and if the seeds we buy at the store are the best bet. I will have to do some research about where to find organic seeds. I am looking forward to a nice day when I can get out there and get my hands dirty :)

    ReplyDelete