Friday, May 7, 2010

cake and presents and decorations... OH MY!!

It has been a while since I last updated the blog. Not much has been happening to be honest :)
But Tomorrow is a different story! It is Ben's 5th birthday party! I will admit right up front that I haven't, unfortunately, put a lot of thought into it :( Maybe it is because I can't believe he is 5. But most of it is because I am trying to figure out how to honour Ben, have fun and still fit into societal norms. I think what we deem as a 'party' could use an overhaul though. Balloons, hats, signs, banners, table cloths, trinket goodie bags and on and on... I LOVE to decorate, make pretty, and show off my creativity as much as the next mom... but I am becoming more conscious of the amount of resources it takes to make a party look good for a couple hours. Last year we strung crepe paper up in the trees and on our old boat (if you can call it a boat... it is more like a bathtub toy by the time it hits the water!) because Ben was having a 'Fishing' themed birthday party. We by no means went over board, but once it was over, there was the giant wad of crepe paper. Of course we recycled it, but now that I have invested a little more heavily into exploring waste reduction, and resource sustainability I cringe at the thought of decorating now. I know. I know. Trust me, I know, that it is moderation in all things... and I am in no way suggesting we take the fun and beauty out of things,but I have also started to ask, 'what does it really mean to honour someone? How can we show them that we honour them, without dishonouring something else?
I don't know the answer for our family yet. But we are trying something new tomorrow and we will see how WE like it, how the kids feel, and if the parents are putoff by the lack of 'stuff' or refreshed that maybe the pressure to make the greatest party 'ever' has been taken off.
Expect an update on how this all turns out....

2 comments: